Six reasons to do expository preaching:
- It is the method least likely to stray from Scripture.
- It teaches people how to read their Bibles.
- It gives confidence to the preacher and authorizes the sermon.
- It meets the need for relevance without letting the clamor for relevance dictate the message.
- It forces the preacher to handle the tough questions.
- It enables the preacher to expound systematically the whole counsel of God.
(D.A. Carson, “Teaching the Whole Bible” from The Art & Craft of Biblical Preaching).